Wednesday, September 3, 2008

OCTOBER AND NOVEMBER BOOKS

Here is the BOOK we are reading for October. The title is Songs Without Words by Ann Packer.

Synopsis: Liz and Sarabeth were girlhood neighbors in the suburbs of Northern California, brought as close as sisters by the suicide of Sarabeth's mother. In the decades that followed, their relationship remained a source of continuity and strength. But when Liz's adolescent daughter enters dangerous waters, the women's friendship takes a devastating turn, forcing Liz and Sarabeth to question their most deeply held beliefs about their connection.

AND FOR NOVEMBER
(possibly Monday instead of Tuesday because of Election Day)

Synopsis: When a group of thirteen middle-aged women friends decides to buy and share a $37,000 diamond necklace, they learn more than they ever thought possible about themselves, friendship, and the power of possibility.

We had originally voted to read "The Necklace" for October and "Songs Without Words" for November, but after checking further realized that The Necklace isn't available until September 9th. Since it may be a little hard to find it ... I made an executive decision ... so let's just switch them around ...

So for the October 7th meeting read "Songs Without Words"
November book is "The Necklace"

And we will vote at the October meeting about changing our first Tuesday in November to Monday or Wednesday, since the first Tuesday in November is Election Day!!

Please feel free to email me during the month so that I can post comments more often on the blog! tfett@sbcglobal.net .... or comment on the blog and I will post for you!

If you need any help getting either book, I thought it might be a good idea to go on Amazon and order a group of them ... is anyone interested in that? Check it out if you get a chance and let me know.

6 comments:

Lolly said...

Glad to see you posted! I have been looking all day, but I guess since you have a real job, I'll excuse you this one time. I ordered my book yesterday and it is supposed to be here today, so I will get a start on it tonight. I love Amazon.com

I just wanted you to know there is someone out there that reads your blog.

Carolynn said...

I read the blog too! Some of the reviews on this book make me wonder and especially the one that mentions "slitting her wrists" from boredom...we shall see.

KirkKrew said...

Thanks for the new book! I'm nearly finished with The Shack. I would be curious to see who else has read it and what their opinions are. I don't want to give it away here, but I LOVE the way the author personified God - absolute genius in my opinion.

KirkKrew said...

Reading The Necklace now. I felt a little silly when I started it because I didn't realize it was a true story! :) It's very good. Hopefully I can be there for the discussions about it.

Janelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janelle said...

I saw the women on GMA one day talking about the necklace.

Too bad i'm so far away and can't do the book club.